Maybank Foundation Interview Experience

11:25 PM

Hola. Okay, to get this Stage 2 of Maybank Scholarship, the first stage is to pass their online assesment. And only God knows how I passed the test. So I got the call on Friday afternoon and then they sent me an email that I have to be at Menara Maybank at 4pm. Well, actually its stated there you have to reach 30 minutes before anyway, so basically I have to be there by 3.30pm. 


I wore business attire and Dad fetched me to the opposite side of the building, meaning I have to cross the busy streets of Jalan Tun Perak to the building myself. Well, at least he wished me luck :p 
After coming out from the lift at the 44th Floor. Yes, 44th. I found my way to the interview room. The email stated that the place is called "Talent Acquisition", but no, there is no such thing in the entire Menara Maybank building. When I reached the HR office, the receptionist asked me for my resume, parents payslips, my certs and 2 passport size photo. Then, she took everything and went to a room, which I presumed its the interviewing site. 
There were already 2 Malay girls sitting and waiting for their turn. Wow. There was National Geographic to watch too and "I Didn't Know That" was on aired. Haha, used to be my favourite show ^^ 

I realized that each interviewees were interviewed on an average of 30 minutes. But, by the time its my turn, its already 5pm. Oh well :/ The interviewer was a lady and she called me in to the room. Its a rather small room, which is good because you can talk much clearly compared to a big room haha...

She was really friendly and sporting. The first thing after we sat down, she told me that they had changed the format of interviewing. Just a little different as there is no more essay writing and the online assesment is 2 times harder than last year. I was like, O_o. Then she told me that the online assesment is to test the candidates accuracy in answering the questions. For numerical test, there are 39 questions which you are NOT COMPULSORY to finish it in 20 mins and the verbal test is 49 questions. You dont have to answer all the questions, just be accurate. 

Then she said, "I was very surprised that you did a very good job on your online assesment."

"What? But the test was hard." I said.

She stared at my paper and without looking at me, she said," Really? But your name is at the top of the candidate list! 97% accuracy for your numerical test and 99% accuracy for your verbal! And the best part is you finished up all the questions in your verbal test! You should give yourself a good pat on the back, girl."

I nearly fell down from my chair after hearing that.
Seriously. Since when was I good in numbers.

Then, the interview continues as She asked me questions like, 
1. Tell me something I don't know.
2. What's your parents occupation?
3. Why Maybank?
4. What's your ambition?
And loads of others questions about my extra curricular activites. The entire session was pretty relaxing actually. 

At the end of the session, she asked me whether I have any questions, which I do. I asked,
1. After 5 years of bond with Maybank, can i still continue working as a Maybank employee?
2. Will there be any chances that I will be placed to work overseas at Maybank overseas branches?

Note: Always ask questions at the end of every interview sessions to show that you are truly interested with the scholarship :) 

Anyway, that's all for the interview part. Mine took 50 minutes. Wow, it only felt like 20 minutes while I'm in the room. The interviewer said the results will be out in a week so stay tuned :) 

I really hoped I got it though, because she said out of 1000 online assesments, only less than 300 are selected for interview. And for stage 3, only 100 or less than 100 are selected. 

Wow. Tough competition.

You Might Also Like

32 comments

  1. Hi! If you don't mind me asking, is the 100 students who get to stage 3 all for overseas? Or are they mixed with local scholarships and sponsorships? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yeah, during my session (I'm not sure whether they changed the system), they mixed the scholars and sponsors. Round 3 involved all three categories basically.

      Delete
    2. I'm super grateful that you answered haha! I've been trying to ask other people who were shortlisted before but their answers are very vague (I've heard that they were told to keep the third stage a secret). Thank you so much! Another question I have is, is the 100 students centered on in KL? Or do you mean there's 100 students for each centre? Because I've heard there Maybank also has a centre in Penang (I attended the first interview in KL).

      How many students will be competing for one course though?
      Competition really is stiff, like you said. Did you manage to get the scholarship in the end? Congrats for making it that far though! :D

      Delete
    3. No prob! 3rd stage is supposed to be a secret until everything ends, I further updated it in my blog as well, check out May section(i think) hahaha... if not mistaken, everything are done in KL :) Congrats on going for your first interview ^^ Good luck for the 3rd round tho! And yeah, I got local scholarship for Business :) Grateful dy lah hahaha

      Not sure how many ppl competing for a course, they never published the statistics haha... Basically, good luck, good luck and if you make it to the next round, be prepared!! ^^

      Delete
    4. You're super fast in replying! :D How long did they take to inform you that you've been shortlisted for the third round? My mom's getting anxious I think XP Congratulations on the scholarship though! I heard there were 10K applicants last year. To have made it that far is really superb!

      Delete
    5. Tbh, I think luck played a major role here, of course :) Thanks ^^ Hmmm... if I remember correctly, they will you call you within the week. If they don't, should be very low chance dy lo :( Sorry to say that >< Its normal for parents to get anxious hahaha
      Btw, if you had apply other scholarships as well, make use of every interview as an experience, like the question they ask, the flow of their questions, etc. Maybe you wont need it now, but it does build way of thinking in the future :)

      Delete
    6. Owh, I see. I just finished my interview last Thursday, hopefully they'll call me before that T.T Do you think it's very important to have great results though? As far as I know, I'm going up against many with straight A plus haha. Yeah, I'm definitely taking this as a new experience for me haha. I rarely ever go for interviews XD

      Delete
    7. The prime difference of Maybank (in my opinion)scholarship compared to the others is that they don't emphasize too much on your SPM slip. I'm only a straight A student, and there are way many straight A+ students but I managed to got it. Having a good result brings you somewhere but not THERE, you get it? :) So yeah, I didn't even get chosen for Petronas prob cos of my result and pass the interview in for FGV. But in Maybank, we even have scholars with a C on his SPM slip, but he stood out because of his attitude. Like damn, he is one of the best person to be friends with cos of his positive attitude. So, I guess it depends on how you look at it :) Communication is the most important factor definitely ^^

      Delete
    8. Wow, that's really nice to hear I think! I'm actually not feeling confident about myself ever since I found out that a straight A plus from my school also applied for the same course at the same place. I did not bad in the interview part (I think so, at least haha. Mine was a bit shorter than yours) but I thought that they might prefer the other student instead because of the results (I did get straight As as well but not all A plus sob sob haha).
      So attitude is what counts the most then. Not the results and koko (I'm sure that they play a role just maybe not a big role haha). Hopefully they'll call me up and by some sort of miracle, I'll be in tip top condition :D Please pray for me that I'll get it lolol

      Delete
    9. Haha wish you best of luck! Koko played a huge role actually ;) attitude>communication>koko>results ^^

      Delete
    10. Ooh, ok. I'm more nervous now lolol. Thanks again for everything! :D

      Delete
  2. hi, do u have any tips for the final stage? im really scared to face the final stage as i heard the assesments are difficult :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :) Well, the assessments are difficult no doubt haha. If it easy, there would be a lot of scholars already, isn't it?
      So tip #1, if there is someone better than you, you TRY and compete with them. Dont go physical of course, start thinking out of the box, a different angle in solving the assessments.

      Tip #2 Dont pressure yourself so hard in being better than the others. JUST BE WHO YOU ARE. Yes, even if you are the quiet type. I'm serious, the loud ones always get the attention, but not necessarily the respects :) Of course, dont go the extreme of being super quiet, you are there to test your ability and show people you got the qualities ^^ I'm not sure whether you get what I meant, because what I'm trying to say here is just do your best and be comfortable with who you are.

      In your third stage, you will encounter people with probably way better qualifications than you, BUT SERIOUSLY IT DOESNT MATTER because you already gotten this far! Qualifications like your SPM or your KOKO doesnt matter so much anymore because in this round, its all about your presentation skills, confidence, bravery and willingness of being a team player at times. Not that you have to be the leader of the discussion all the time, a leader give respect to the other members as well.

      So be polite and sincere. If you are wrong or you felt like you are wrong mid way or half way through the assessment, dont panic and think your life is over, okay? :) Just be brave and admit your wrong if there is a necessity. If someone's idea is good, its fine to be brave and lower down your ego and accept and agree with others. Showing yourself as a good team player helps score a lot of marks too, it isnt always about stealing the spot light.

      Most importantly is dont lie about who you are. Just be true to yourself, okay? :) Take a deep breath before anything and think twice before saying anything. You might meet some obnoxious people there but its all about self - control, you know? Assessments will always be difficult if you think like so :) So, take it as a challenge and be brave to face it. Dare to speak. Dare to stand up as a leader. But at times, remember to be humble.

      Good luck and all the best! Dont panic haha

      Delete
  3. hi there ! i got selected for the interview , damns scared la. is there any malaysian economics questions ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Congrats for getting selected :) Dont scared la. Malaysian economics question not really la, but putting it into application maybe la. Haha. What i meant here is the second round interview is about knowing their candidates more. Prepare to introduce yourself (the right way), summing up your high school koko life, what you'd learnt when you were in a position in koko. Basically answer with confidence, be clear with your voice, not too soft or loud.

      Google or watch on youtube on tips of interview. And do learn about Maybank since you are opting for their scholarships haha

      Good luck!

      Delete
  4. and wat should i prepare

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tiffany, COngratulations!
    Ive read on your tips for the 3rd stage.
    During the 3rd stage, the assignment or task given is based on business and they want to see how we solve the problem right?
    So basically, what should we read up to equip ourself for the 3rd stage? Or its more on general knowledge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks haha ^^ U can check out the comment here cos' recently someone asked the same question ==> Maybank Foundation Scholarship Round 3 Experience :) http://callmetiffany.blogspot.com/2014/05/maybank-foundation-scholarship-round-3.html

      Leave a comment over there if you still have any questions and I will try my best to answer you with my limited experience haha :) 😂😅😅

      Delete
    2. Hello I am about to apply for the scholarship .It is written that we can apply for all courses.Is medicine included??What are the universities applicable??
      Please let me know asap.twins so much

      Delete
    3. Hello I am about to apply for the scholarship .It is written that we can apply for all courses.Is medicine included??What are the universities applicable??
      Please let me know asap.twins so much

      Delete
  6. Hello Tiffany! If you don't mind, can you please tell me what kind of questions do they ask in the numerical assessment? I'm really nervous abt it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! What did you wear during the interview? Do you wear blazer? Or just a simple but neat attire? Am I allowed to wear baju kurung?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :) Sorry for the late reply, I dont check my blog often. Wear business, neat and tidy. Baju kurung is definitely no problem! And be neat!! Especially with the hair, shoes and accessories if you're planning to wear any :)

      Delete
  8. Hi! What did you wear during the interview? Do you wear blazer? Or just a simple but neat attire? Am I allowed to wear baju kurung?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tiffany! Congrats for being a Maybank scholar! May I know how long since the Assessment Centre Round 3 that you were called/emailed to announce that you were awarded scholarship? All the best in your studies too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you haha.. erm..I dont really recall..maybe a week or two plus? Because they need time to interview everyone and finalize the results for Round 3 :)

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, is it okay to apply for scholarship even tho annual household income RM40,000?

    ReplyDelete