Monash University Foundation Year (MUFY) Sem 1 Summary

7:40 PM

I'm a MUFY student, just done with my Sem 2 finals (hopefully no sem 3) today. Its probably a rush for me to update my blog about this but seriously, I have nothing to do now since I'm done with the exams. Let me make things clear first: I'm a July intake student who takes English, Mathematics, Economics and Accounting for both two semesters.



If you are unsure of the rules in taking subjects in MUFY, there are actually a variety of subjects for you to mix and match BUT bear in mind that the subjects you take have to fulfil the conditions so that you can graduate from this foundation. Its a bit complicated so... just go to sunway website and check out the details or just go to sunway college and question them :)


So here's a mini summary of my first semester as a Mufy-ians here in Sunway College, KL. (Second semester in my next post)


Sem 1


English: Basically you don't learn the language, you learn how to analyse stuffs. At least that's how I feel it was because we have tests on listening skills, comprehension and also writing essay which is not any ordinary essay you write in SPM where they gave you a topic and you get to bullsh*t 3 pages of words from the dictionary. Foundation isn't really a time for you to that, especially English. 


Listening skill test is okay for me. There are people with accents recorded to read a text and you have to answer questions. Comprehension is like the typical types where there is an article and you have to answer based on the text, except here in MUFY you have to use your own words, so a dictionary is very important. 


Then, essay writing. This is the hardcore part. The lecturers will give you a stack of photostated articles they compiled a week before the real test which you have to read and understand ALL the articles. For my year, I got "Death Penalty". I kinda forgot the prompt but it was hard af. You have to write an essay using the evidences from the articles given, which you have to paraphrase the sentences in the articles before write. And before you write, you have to be really clear on the format of the essay because my lecturer actually PENALIZED me because I did not write a conclusion for one of the paragraph. My lecturer was Ms Felicia and she is like the coldest lecturer you dont wanna mess with. If you get Mr. Mustafa, you gonna have a great sem one. If you get other lecturers, that's fine too.


There is also a report you have to do, which your lecturer will discuss pretty detailed so there isn't a problem with that. And since its also your first time doing a report on real, contraversial topics, feel free to spam your lecturer with questions. (also depends who is your lecturer lah, if you get those easily pissed off for no particular reason one, better pandai sikit). 


And then you have to present your report. This is probably the easiest part for my entire English Sem 1, because I'm good at talking, not writing. It's hard to describe without actions and only words! D: 
ALSO, depending on whose your lecturer, basically if you practiced enough and able to answer the questions your classmates and lecturer posted to you, you can get a pretty high mark. Not to boast, I got full marks for my presentation on my topic "Should Medical Marijuana be legalized in America?" It's a controversial topic, and there are a list of them ranging from euthanasia, shark culling, capital punishment, etc.


Mathematics: If you are planning to take business courses in your degree, fundamental maths should be enough to keep you going. But then I admit lah, I kiasu ma so I took up Mathematics. And for someone who is a maths dummy but didn't know how I actually got A+ for Add Maths in SPM, sem 1 is pretty hard. BUT LET'S NOT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS YET. My lecturer was Ms Has and by all means, please don't get her as your lecturer if you really wanna get a High Distinction (HD) (its like A+ ) in Maths Unit 1. You learn and draw graphs by just looking at the equation, and then you can confirm whether whatever you drew is correct by using a graphic calculator which you have to buy at a crazy price of RM500+. But, TRUST ME IT'S WORTH IT. It's all about grasping the concept and understand how the equation works, in order to get HD.


Economics: This is the only subject that I carried around in my bag 24/7. I'm not saying it's a hard topic (nothing is hard if you are willing to work hard) because I wasn't exposed to Econs before during my entire high school since I'm a science student. The first few chapters of Economics is understandable until the middle. It basically hits you like a wrecking ball and I'm not kidding. From this point, you have to pay extra attention to what your lecturer is talking because everything sounds alien. Concepts are important to understand and you need to really build a strong base here in Unit 1 because you are gonna need it in Sem 2. Both sems are not exactly super related but the first unit of Economics, which is Microeconomics is the base of Macroeconomics. Sorry if that sounds confusing, feel free to read the sentence a few more times.


Now that you read the sentence a few times, this is whats gonna happen as well when you are reading the manual (it's textbooks actually but MUFY call it manuals). A lot of graph drawings which is fun for me (ONLY ME apparently). My lecturer was Ms Pratiba who emphasize a lot on self studying. A lot of students disliked her cos' she'll seriously asked you to study yourself if you have a question. I got 'shoot' by her a few times and that really hurts me T.T There is also another lecturer, who is good because she explained every detail and also added in her own knowledge. 


There are 2 media commentaries and a research project (which is a group project). Tips here is get a good group member. I'm serious. Media commentaries is all about getting good articles related to economics topics you learn and write an essay elaborating about what you understood and the concepts used in every day world. Media commentaries are pretty okay, it's just the research project you need to struggle a bit :)


Accounting: This topic is rather easy if you have taken accounts during your high school (only like the first few weeks tho hahaha). If you have never taken accounting before, don't fret! You will learn from the basic of the basic but also, you have to do the homeworks given by your lecturer. Or else you won't understand how to implement the concepts. Accounting is pretty okay, just more theory for Sem 1 compared to Sem 2. 



So basically, MUFY Sem 1 is pretty easy going. You do feel pressured with the topic tests like every 2-3 weeks or so, but guys come on, this is college. No one said it's gonna be easy. Procrastination is sometimes an option every now and then, but like we all know, last minute work will get you some shit. Sem 1 is really the time to go make friends,


Sem 2 will be in the next post! :D 




 

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. Hi Tiffany, this blog has helped me immensely. Could you tell me where to find cheap paper notebooks and stationaries near sunway if you know it? Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ehhh... Cheap leh, I usually go popular bookstore in Pyramid. Uni book shops somehow sells a little pricier, best is just buy all the stationaries in your hometown and bring it here. Things are not cheap here plus price is increasing everywhere you go :p

      Delete
  2. Hello Tiffany,

    Greetings from Taiwan!
    I'm a Taiwanese who is going to take MUFY program in July, and it's quite difficult for people in Taiwan to find information on Sunway MUFY. That's why reading your blog is like an ENLIGHTENMENT to me.

    Here's my plan for MUFY:
    i. English Unit 1&2
    ii. Economics Unit 1&2
    iii. Globalization Unit 1&2
    iv. Accounting Unit 1
    v. Information Technology Unit 1
    Destination degree: Bachelor of Social Science and Arts (Major in Global Studies)

    I wonder whether is it possible to find (or buy) the textbooks and booklist of MUFY program, so I can get myself well prepared for the coming study.
    If you could shed light on some of my questions, I would be very very very grateful.

    Many Thanks.
    Chen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Part of my post gone missing!

      Another question I would like to ask is whether you are acquainted with any Taiwanese student there in the MUFY program? I have encountered some problems regarding my student visa. It would be helpful to get to know how others pull this off.

      Chen

      Delete
    2. Hey sorry for the reply!!

      Actually for MUFY program, you can't really get your books from bookstores because the textbooks will be provided by the courses itself. Meaning during your first day of class, you will be given textbooks by your class lecturer :)

      I'm so sorry I am not really acquainted to any Taiwanese, to be honest you're my first so I couldn't advise you on the VISA issue. I apologize so much for this.

      Overall, I'm sorry for replying so late! I'll be more aware of your comments from now on since I know about this already ^^

      Delete
    3. Oh my goat you actually did reply! I really appreciate your kindness!

      I can tell from the statistics published by Taiwanese government that we're like some kind of endangered specie rarely seen in Malaysia lol
      There are just a handful of us studying there as international student. Around 500 people I supposed.

      The inaccessibility of MUFY textbooks is quite a good news to hear, because that means I won't be the only one gets lost on the very beginning due to the lack of information.

      I thank you. Sincerely.
      Chen

      Delete
    4. Haha no worries! Your optimism is admirable! I was damn lost last time, and no friends. So, we all have to start somewhere :)

      Good luck! Oh yeah, there's a small Taiwan restaurant somewhere in the highest floor in Pyramid but I'm not sure if its authentic cos I never went to Taiwan but I like the oyster noodle there haha just saying

      <3

      Delete
  3. Hi Tiffany . I'm going for July Intake for MUFY . I'm also a science student and wanting to take accounts and econs . Do I have to do any revisions or classes about it before I go in ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Same case like me, don't worry about it. The classes will teach everything from basic BUT! If the students in class mostly had studied these subjects before in high school, the teacher will go through the course fast and you might not be able to catch up.

      My tips for you is once you got your book, start reading it through before class. Finished class if you don't understand, either ask your teacher if she's friendly, if not, go on Google or Khan academy or youtube, you will actually learn much much more there!!


      Good luck:)

      Delete
  4. So i'm considering to take MUFY ( probably i'm taking it ). May i know about the assignments ? Would the lecture still assigning you a assignment and put the duel date during the exam period ? or even nearly to the exam period ? Where to get MUFY past year papers ? Do we need to study extra online or just study what the notes given by the lecture ? ( i heard people say that try not to study extra because you have no time for it ) . Is it a wise choice to choose MUFY instead of Foundation ? Please follow up my question , i'm so confused right now ... Thank you in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It's okay to be confused, we all been there :)

      The assignments I'm not sure if they had changed it since I left MUFY quite a few years already, but I guess you can ask questions on the MUFY page, I mean this is the page that was used to be students asking questions but now its selling stuffs -.- https://www.facebook.com/groups/498679993533313/

      The assignment will be around two weeks before the finals, if I remember it right. It's group work and some units doesn't require you to do assignment (at least during my time in MUFY).

      "Try not to study extra" is really not something you want to hear in a college/university because this is the place for you to literally learn new things. Study the textbook, but if you want to understand better on concepts, which in finals there is no guaranttees it will be just "follow the textbook", go ahead and search on Google. At one point, Khan Academy was my best friend and it taught me way more than just what my textbook says. And in exam, let's say you wrote stuffs out of the textbook, so what? Heck, you might even get a good impression from the lecturers marking your paper! Just remember, transitioning into college, you have to be brave and stand out for yourself. Yeah, people will tease you for learning a little extra from normal, but who's gaining and who's losing? Yeah, it may be a little embarrassing (that's what I felt when people teased me about studying and reading extra), but I just smiled and grinned like :B and continued what I'm doing. Don't listen to people/peers especially about reading a little extra. Of course, this doesnt mean going all the way to reading something that is an university course with deep theories etc.

      Is it a wise choice? Well, MUFY guarantees you a seat in Monash University. Is Monash University good? If you're taking a business course in Monash as compared to other unis in Subang (not specifying what), what other university students are doing in their HONOURS degree, is what we are doing in our second year. Yeah you can think its like holy shit standard damn high, but in other perspectives, it's good :)

      You can take other foundations like A-Levels or Ausmat or SAM. Tbh, there are all the same. It's really all just marketing from different universities, whether its Australian or UK or US, etc. Most importantly, is what you want to study.

      If you want to go to any part of the world in the future, and not really sure what to study, take A-Levels.
      If you want to go to Australia, take Australian foundation courses.
      Foundation does not defines or restricts you. As long as you get good results that are recognized by the future university, then you're good to go!

      Just keep in mind to always do your best. Don't try, just do it! No confidence? Don't worry, just do it (properly of course).

      Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thank you ! So where can I get the past year paper of mufy exam ? Score 80% is it tat hard ?

      Delete
  5. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post really a great efforts. I am really happy to see your blog.medical marijuana card az

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tiffany. May I ask what was your next step after MUFY? Did you go to Australia? Also how would you rate the difficulty of MUFY? Do you have any tips on how do I get a score of 80? Please let me know. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,just trying my luck here...do u still have the micro n macro notes? If u do,can i buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI did you take statistics module, if you did can i buy the book with answers from you please n TQ

    ReplyDelete