How I got Maybank Scholarship...? Links below

10:22 PM

No, seriously I have no idea that I'm going to get this scholarship. I'm quite a low confident person actually, I'm not good in many aspects compared to others, for example my roommate and housemates. They are Maybank Scholars and Sponsors as well. But we all went through the same hardship.

So, anyway, I decided to write this post because of the other Maybank scholars from my year. It started from Sabrina, then Farida... and hopefully the trend ends here in this blog post ahaha. Can't believe I'm doing this two weeks before finals but okay, nvm.

How I got Maybank Scholarship
When I got my SPM slip results, I was super shocked. I got 8A+, 2A. Just one more A+ to getting a bursary scholarship. But I wasn't aiming that because I knew academics has never been my strong point since young, and getting these much of A+ seems a lot to me. Even my parents accused me for cheating in SPM because I had NEVER gotten so many As in my study life. Okay, the day I got my results is the day I started applying for every single scholarships online.

Clarification: I'm not from a wealthy family, but neither am I poor. My family lived in a condition where everything is just in the right amount. Also, as general as this may get, Chinese parents would want their child to achieve high standards occupation, for example doctor, lawyer, engineer, architecture, you know lah. My parents wanted me to be a pharmacist, which at first I was okay with the idea. Until I woke up one day and realized that being a pharmacist would mean that I will have to get up from bed every morning and distribute pills and medicines as ordered by the doctor to patients in a 10ft x 10 ft room. I don't want this, man. I can't do this.

Of course there isn't any scholarships that offers medical courses (maybe there are but the quantities are pretty small). Then, I told my parents that I wanted business. Also, as general as this may get, most parents would disagree because come on, a business degree? Everyone can do business without having a business degree. And this sort of degree isn't wanted in the society.

I have no idea how to refute this argument but my parents have a point too.

'Even if I work hard?" I told my parents but they just rolled their eyes and my mom said that if I can get a scholarship to study business, then they will give in. Or else I will be going for matrikulasi and fight my chances to a pharmacy course.

And the challenge is on! I love challenges (even though I knew my chances are limited with competition so huge..T.T)

Ranging from SimeDarby to Felda to some small scholarships... I don't care. I only cared about applying for all these scholarships and I got motivated each and every day. Why? Because there are a lot of news reporting the increase in 9A+ in Form 5 students, scholars here and there, students getting courses they want...etc. The competition was tough.

So tough, that I didn't get any email replies after applying the scholarships. Felda called me up and I failed their group interview. I tried to keep positive because that time it was only April if not mistaken. I failed the Asasi Pintar assessment because I wasn't good in patterns and logical questions. But then one month later, I thought that was my last chance for a scholarship.

I wasn't good enough. Not in koko. Not in studies. I have two people I knew that had already gotten the Petronas scholarship. I admit, I was sad and moody and grumpy like nobody's business.

Until one morning, I did my usual routine of checking my email inbox and tahda. An email from Maybank for a online assessment. Yeah! Well, I had actually posted it in my blog before regarding this and it was written like a year ago so please please! Forgive me if I had written it in a rather childish way, I just hope you guys can learn a thing or two from there <3 haha

Maybank Foundation Interview Experience => http://callmetiffany.blogspot.com/2014/04/maybank-foundation-interview-experience.html?showComment=1428338966763#c2418166421148151092

Maybank Foundation Round 3 => http://callmetiffany.blogspot.com/2014/05/maybank-foundation-scholarship-round-3.html?showComment=1430112027600#c8176047448110867786

Check out the comment sections for what I had replied to the previous esquires :)

And if you are a Maybank Scholar too and by any chance would like to thank me (ahhahaha im just kidding please dont thank me okay Im helping you guys out for the fun of it) do add me on Facebook or Instagram or Twitter.

I would humbly want to be friends with you *bows 90 degree*.

My FB profile page: https://www.facebook.com/TiffanyPeiEr
My Twitter: @tiffanypeier
My Instagram: @tiffanypeier

You Might Also Like

27 comments

  1. Hi tiffany. Could u pls pls pls pls explain to me whts the next progress aftr signin n award ceremony until u finally start study?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sure I will. After signing and everything done with camp, I went to the uni which I want to study (in this case is Sunway Uni) and signed up for my course, which is MUFY. Then, get the offer letter from the university and scan it to Kak Aimy/Mama K. Also, bring along all the necessary documents such as your scholarship certificates, the offer letter from maybank to study in the uni, etc.

      If the uni is far from your place, you can actually email the uni and there will be people to assist you from there. Of course, do make it clear that you are a Maybank scholar because this way, the uni will contact Maybank and they will handle the paperworks between themselves. Mention that you will need to stay in the hostel (if you need lah), if Sunway then its SunU Residence or SMR. They will tell you what to do, no worries :) Then, after you get the offer letter, knowing what day is your orientation and stuffs, you are good to go and prepare your stuffs for staying in hostels, your stationaries, etc.

      Also, do open a Maybank account if you haven't before the signing ceremony. Trust me on this.

      That should be all. Congrats on getting the scholarship btw! ^^

      Delete
    2. Hey Anonymous. Can i know when did you get a call from maybank ?

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the snippet! However, I still have questions for ya to answr. 1st, is tht means i need to open a maybank acc rn as im waitin for signin ceremony. 2nd, i was offered to study in monash uni (for bachelor,i guess) So is this the same case like yours where Ive to attend Sunway uni first? 3rd, when is the exact date u gt enrolled? 4th,do i have options where to live between the choices u stated above? 5th,is it always like this tht the maybank didnt explain to you elaborately wht to do afterwards? I really appreciate your reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (1) Yes, open a Maybank account because the only way they will transfer the allowances is into your Maybank account. Only Maybank, of course.

      (2) Getting offered to study in Monash, are you really going to study in Monash uni? Because if so, then take MUFY. To attend MUFY, the classes are at Sunway uni, that's why I attended Sunway for my foundation. After completing MUFY in Sunway, only then I can be guaranteed a place to study in Monash uni. So, I would say that yes it's the same case as mine. But if you don't want to study MUFY, feel free to study A-levels, AUSMAT, etc, as long as you meet the requirements to enroll in Monash Uni.

      (3) I forgot the exact date of enrollment. Sorry. I only recall it was somewhere the first week of July 2014.

      (4) Yes, you have the option to live wherever you want. Talk to Kak Aimy or Mama K about this, and they will tell you what to do. But, by default it is Sun U Residence.

      (5) I wouldn't say they didn't explain elaborately, I would say that I don't understand what they're saying because apparently, I'm one of the few blur kids when they briefed us about this. They explained nothing beforehand of the signing ceremony, you have to wait till the ceremony. That's when you can ask everything after they brief you. They will brief you the night before the ceremony, after ceremony, before camp and after camp. So, you don't have to worry, I'm sure many scholars have questions as well.


      That's about it! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh lord,thank u so much! Again! I was really anxious to get all these questions answered. Based on your explanation on (5) I guess Im way more advance thn anybody else regardin the procedures informations.haha. Anyway,who'd suggest u to take up MUFY as Im pretty sure the rest of the pre-u is widely common n highly recommended to most of us? And may I knw nw where your study gettin to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, we have lots of PreU to choose from and the reason why I chose MUFY is because I don't want A-Levels or matriculation. My initial plan was matric and as long as it's not matrics or ALevel, I'm happy. Plus, Monash is also recommended for business and since I'm pursuing that, why not Monash? A string of events happened and there were also 3 other scholars that took up MUFY and so I thought, why not? :)

      So, basically I'm studying MUFY to get into Monash Uni Malaysia. Haha, it's okay to worry about this, you're not the first to ask actually hehe

      Delete
  4. Ohh,ok. Understood. So you're sayin tht there are other scholars takin up other pre-u tht leadin to Monash? Or is it generally whoevr leadin to bachelor in Monash is taking MUFY? One more thing,if we dont meet the required cgpa for a sem, the scholarship will b terminated immediately? Wht happen if we didnt qualified for bachelor in Monash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally, whoever planning to go Monash will take MUFY. But, I do know a senior that took FIA in Sunway and study in Monash uni.

      The question you asked regarding the results is a very common question among the scholars. And honestly speaking, taking up the scholarship can be a glamour thing, but at the same time, you're taking up the responsibility as one :) So, let's just say, putting your results as your main priority as well as coping with your social life at the same time can be hard, but always keep in mind of what's your goal.

      Maybank won't terminate you immediately, but they will if you constantly return them a less than required result. Of course, depending on your course (how hard or easy, i.e. ACCA), they will be more lenient, but that doesn't mean you should take advantage of it.

      If you're not qualified for Monash, it's time to speak to Mama K :) let's not hope that happens, okay? You probably can change university, I'm not too sure.

      Bear in mind that having a constantly good results can bring you benefits in the future, e.g. you want to further your studies to get a honours degree, but your contract doesn't allow you but they can make an exception if you have good results.

      Of course, I'm not saying that you have to study forever full time, what I'm saying is have a balance study schedule :) 60% study, 40% entertainment. ^^ hope I didn't scare you in anyway hehe

      Delete
    2. You're absolutely right. Being a scholar carries whole lot more responsibility compared to ordinary student. But I'll b glad if maybank could b lenient on engineerin student too ;)

      Oh,regardin the accomodation for 2 days events,where'd you guys spend the nights?

      Delete
    3. Depending on your course or Pre U, but engineering should be cool because I'm sure the standards are pretty high @@ As long as you did your best, there is few to no reasons to terminate you (unless you failed really badly). But from what we had briefed countless of times, till this date there aren't any scholars being terminated yet :)

      We spent our night at Ancasa Hotel Express or something like that. Every one will share a roommate of different races unless not enough haha

      Delete
  5. Its good to hear tht no 1 being terminated yet :)
    Btw,the hotel,does it includin our guarantors n parents too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm not too sure but there were scholars who shared rooms with their parents. I'd suggest that you email maybank about this, either they have to pay for their own rooms or it's claimable :)

      Delete
    2. Actually, I'm not too sure but there were scholars who shared rooms with their parents. I'd suggest that you email maybank about this, either they have to pay for their own rooms or it's claimable :)

      Delete
  6. Ohh,ok. It stated tht the signin n award ceremony for 3 n 4 pax respectively so I thought all the pax are included w the accomodation package.haha
    Anyway I'll clarify tht later w maybank. Thank u so much for all the informations you've given. I appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sure, no prob! Add me on FB lah :) ==> See Pei Er

      Delete
  7. Yes,sure do :) anyway,hw do ya knw firdaus zainudin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erm, he was in the same PLKN batch with me :)

      Delete
  8. Hi, may I knw which math units should I take to further my bachelor in chem engineering? TQ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :) Are you taking MUFY?

      If you are, I'm not too sure about this tho, but I know that if it's engineering, then you need to take both Maths and Advanced Maths. Since you are taking a mix of Chem Engineering, I'm not so sure ><! I'm sorry!

      Delete
  9. Yes,Im talkin bout MUFY. Haha, chem engine is a major in my bachelor but for foundation I fall under engineerin category. So your above explanation is accurate nuff :) thnks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi tiffany! May i ask which degree are you pursuing in monash? Cause i did some research online and monash offers bachelor of business and commerce, bachelor of commerce and a double degree.Does Monash has a twinning program? Do reply at your convenience as i understand that college life is busy, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I'm pursuing Bachelor of Biz and Commerce in Monash Malaysia, majoring in Marketing and Biz Management :)

      The two bachelors and the double degree has significant differences so it's good if you make it clear first ^^ Tho I still mixed them up at times haha

      Monash has a twinning program, but I'm not sure with what uni besides Sunway College.

      Delete
    2. Oh i see, thanks a lot tiffany for your info!

      Delete
  11. Hi,may I ask hw long do I have to wait to get call from maybank if I get enlisted after accomplishing my online assessment?

    ReplyDelete