Stereotype...?

9:41 PM

Hey to another post into some of the little thoughts that had been bugging me,

Just like the title: Stereotype.

What actually triggered me to think so much about this word is because of the editorial I'm planning to join. The theme of the week/month is indeed, the struggling word called stereotype which I can't seem to find any inspiration for me to create something different. An artwork to contribute, that's what they called it. I'm more into a photography kind of person, rather than writing. Because I write a lot of craps.

So, I thought maybe I have to ask myself this question: Was I stereotyped before by public? And, did I stereotype others before?


Hell yea, for both questions.

I'd been stereotyped on first impression a lot as someone incapable and stupid. Someone who can't handle her shits and likes partying. I never knew how but somehow I was portrayed to be someone like this, and because of that, I had to change the way I look depending on what event I'm attending. College, weddings, interviews, going out with family, going out with friends, etc.

At times, I have to force myself to not over-express who I am. Normally in high school, my parents would request me to wear a half - frame spectacles. Looks more study type, they said. Looks smarter.
Yeah, I agree with that. I'm not a smart kid anyway, and maybe if I make myself look smart, I can win other's first impression on me, right? After all, my stupidity will leak through my actions anyway after the first impression, so why not score the first points. And that's how I went through high school, with people looking at me, thinking, "This kid looks like a bookworm nerd. She sure did her homework every time."

BOOM!

I didn't, of course, do my homework. I selectively did my homework. Do I like the way this question ask? Yes, then I'm gonna do it. No? Too bad, I'm just gonna leave it blank. Stupid way of doing homework, I know. But that's just how much it contrast from the first impression I give to others and how I am actually.

Coming to college, I started to dye my hair. Wear colored contact lens. Go for a big, nerdy glass. Choose what I want to wear such as rings, chokers sometimes. Things I like to do, like drawing, photography, badminton. So, maybe you're gonna think like, why do people stereotype me as someone who is incompetent?

The answer is quite simple: I don't look like the type that studies on first impression. I wear colored contact lens, I dyed my hair, I wear short skirts with sneakers, I like to dance to the music in public. Like, damn, this girl is flamboyant as heck. I don't look like the type that plays sports because of the way I dress. Occasionally the tomboyish look, but at times, a more girly image.

For example, when I was signing up for the badminton club, the guy at the counter took a double take when I said I can play badminton.

"You sure?" He asked questionably, arching his right eyebrow, pushing his spectacles higher up the bridge of his nose.

"Yeah." I replied nonchalantly.

He stared at me for a while, and he looked at his partner. A look of hesitant on whether to push that recruitment form towards me.

Next example, a guy in the same class of malaysian studies sat beside me and talked to me. He somewhat ridiculed me that girls nowadays just like to party. And I said no. There are loads of other girls that likes to play, but partying is just not on their fun list. He felt challenged and asked me what school am I from.

"School of Business." I said.

"Great! Same as me. Now let me see, I scored 4 flat for my foundation before coming into uni. How about you?"

I smiled and asked him to scroll the MUFY Facebook page.

Anyway, it was fun to have people stereotype about me. They like to think that they know who you are by first glance. And then as time passes, I get to prove them otherwise.

But it sucks if it comes to adults. To my parent's friends. To the teachers in high school. To lecturers, especially.

"Stop spending so much time doing what you do. Start doing what you SHOULD do instead." said a teacher in high school, her right arm scooping over her son's shoulder.

I still remembered that line clearly when I start to show that I'm not that study kid you think I am during high school. I let my fringe fall. I don't listen in class since I don't get whatever the teacher said anyway. I'm just gonna do things my own pace. And all you adults are just gonna judge me from afar, not knowing how much I had actually progressed.

That's how I prove to people who stereotyped on me.

Let time do the talking.

You Might Also Like

0 comments